The firm’s complaints procedure is set out below.

One of the firm’s partners will act as the investigating officer in relation to any complaint. We will write to the client within seven days of the receipt of a complaint and will give the client an estimate of how long the investigation will take. If the complaint is not already in writing, he/she will ask the client to record the complaint in written form.

The investigation may or may not involve discussing the matter with the client. The investigating officer may request the client to provide him/her with such further information and/or evidence as he/she may reasonably require. He/she will inform the client in writing of the outcome of the investigation. Wherever possible, the investigating officer will aim to get the result of the investigation to the client within 20 business days of the written complaint having been made.

The outcome will set out any proposals for remedial action that may be appropriate and invite the client to state whether or not the complaint has been resolved to the client’s satisfaction. Where an extended period is required to investigate a complaint, the client will be informed and will be given monthly progress reports in writing.

No charges will be made for the costs incurred in investigating and handling a complaint. If the client is unhappy with the outcome, he has the right to refer the complaint to the Solicitors Regulation Authority. In some cases, the client may contact the Legal Ombudsman (PO Box 15870, Birmingham B30 9EB, UK; tel: 0300 555 0333; email:, which deals with complaints against lawyers registered in England and Wales when made by individuals and certain types of small enterprises. Clients are encouraged to take independent legal advice with respect to complaints that are not resolved in accordance with the above procedure including as to any applicable limitation periods.

If your complaint is about our invoices, you may also apply to the court for an assessment of the bill under Part III of the Solicitors’ Act 1974. If all or part of any bill remains unpaid, we may be entitled to charge interest.