Given the confidential and sensitive nature of our work, we are unable to identify many of the instructions we have undertaken. However, in order to provide a sample, we can identify the following recent mandates:
- Acting for UK high street and online retailers in high-profile funded claims against Visa and MasterCard worth over £400 million for the alleged overcharging of multilateral interchange fees in breach of competition law. HK LLP is well known for having represented Tesco Stores Limited and W H Smith in their interchange claims against both card schemes and for settling the Tesco Stores Limited interchange claim against Visa on confidential terms days before the start of the trial on liability in the Commercial Court.
- Acting for a Ukrainian oligarch and associated corporate vehicles in complex proceedings in the Commercial Court in London involving two other oligarchs in relation to a number of substantial claims and counterclaims worth over £2 billion following the termination of business dealings between them.
- Representing a Dutch provider of management services in the steel industry in a high value LCIA arbitration against an Eastern European state and a state-owned company arising out of the privatisation of a major steel manufacturing plant.
- Acting for Simmons & Simmons LLP in proceedings in the Commercial Court in London, successfully obtaining summary judgment in December 2017 on a claim made against the firm for declaratory relief. This was an unusual case where a firm of solicitors was joined as a defendant to proceedings against its client arising from its representation of that client.
- For Marfin Investment Group and others in proceedings in the English High Court challenging by way of appeal to a Judge the registration in England of a worldwide freezing order made in the Cyprus court and in a further appeal to the Court of Appeal on the effectiveness and enforceability of the registration order pending the appeal.
- Representing 48 investors in an investment scheme in which they lost all their money and in connection with proceedings against Locke Lord (UK) LLP and others in the Chancery Division for substantial damages. The claim was funded by litigation funders and successfully settled in late 2017.
- Acting on behalf of a high net worth property developer in claims against the Royal Bank of Scotland worth £90 million arising out of alleged corruption and fraudulent misrepresentation. The claim was stayed for a number of years pending criminal proceedings which resulted in the imprisonment of flamboyant former Virgin pilot and property developer Mark Entwistle before settlement.
- Acting for an international utility company, carrying out an internal investigation and reporting on compliance with safety requirements in North Sea oil and gas exploration and storage.
- Acting for One Blackfriars Limited (in liquidation) in a claim under the Insolvency Act against the former joint administrators of One Blackfriars Ltd in respect of the alleged sale of this landmark South Bank development at a substantial undervalue.
- Acting for an investment bank, carrying out an internal investigation and reporting on LIBOR methodology and procedures.
- Representing the former Head of Compliance and Operational Risk of an international investment bank, in the context of a regulatory investigation into possible data breaches.
- Acting for a Kuwaiti-headquartered oil and gas company in a dispute subject to LCIA arbitration concerning rights and obligations in a joint venture agreement for the construction and operation of a major port hydrocarbon terminal under a concession granted by the Kingdom of Morocco.